"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Saturday, July 6, 2013

OUCH!!!

We finally decided to fix the back porch.  Today was going to be one of those stay at home and work around the house sort of day.  I was a little nervous about tearing down the old porch after my night last night.
***
Two of the kiddos and I were driving home from our VBS workparty at church.  We were about 7 minutes from home and a deer jumps right out into my van.
Hubby teaches a AAA class for senior citizens, and one of the safety things he told me was that people die from deer jumping out in front of their vehicles because:
  •   They swerve into oncoming traffic and have head on collisions or 
  •   They slam on their brakes which causes the vehicle to go down in the front and the deer to go up over the hood into their windshield. 
 So he kept grilling me not to step on the brake.  I would practice not being scared with squirrels that would run out in front of me.  When the deer jump out at me last night, I knew we were going to share a moment and it wasn't going to be a pleasant one. At first I lifted off of the gas to go hit the brake, but I quickly remembered hubby's warning, and I gunned the gas.  This caused the deer to fly backward and then an oncoming Jeep Cheroke finished the deer off.  It was sad, the deer looked like a doe.
***
Praise the Lord we all are all right except the deer, and today's demolition went down with no injuries!
 


7 comments:

  1. But no going out that upstairs door right now please!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad no person was injured in the accident. Car-deer collision are pretty common around here. My husband has had deer jump into the side of his car twice. Good luck with the demolition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That has happened to us so many times through the years. It's good you followed hubby's advice! It's such a scary time, and I have always cried for the poor deer ;( Glad you're all okay!! -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you weren't hurt. I live in the country and there are plenty of deer around. I did not know you shouldn't brake. Tell you hubby a big thanks from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That had to be so scarey. When I was working as the activity director in an assisted living I was always taking the residents on outings and deer were my biggest fear. When I was driving in areas where they were I would catch myself gripping the steering wheel with pains taking force. I never took them on a bus tour without a prayer. I am so delighted that you and your kids were okay. Give that hubby of your's a big hug. He taught you well.
    Have a happy porch redo. I'll be watching for up dated photos.
    Your blogging sister, Connie:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO glad you weren't hurt! Those are good tips and I will have to try to remember them! I swerve for frogs in the road...
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you weren't hurt. My husband had a deer run right into his car once, it caused a lot of damage. A black bear almost ran into his car too, but luckily it back away quickly.

    Hope the porch redo goes smoothly.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.