"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Monday, July 29, 2013

Headboard Made from a Door

      Well, I finally did it!
After a year of holding onto a door that I found along side the road, I finally made a head board for my oldest son.  I can't actually say that I made it.  I designed it, and he cut it and nailed it together.
...I painted it :)

So I started with a full length wood door.  I really can't believe someone threw it away.  My son cut off the top panel of the door.  He then cut another inch and a half off of each end.  I was pretty impressed at how straight he cut it.
We took some old trim and baseboard scraps I hoarded saved and added some architecture to the door.  This door already had great panels.  It just needed a little more character.

I couldn't believe my ears when it came time to paint it.  He wanted Annie Sloans French Linen!  He is usually a black paint kind of guy.  He likes things to look rich.  I think my primitive cottage look is rubbing off on him :)
This is after I waxed it with clear and dark wax.

I wasn't brave enough to take a pic of his room today.
That will have to come in a later post.
I love the way it turned out!

If you can't find a great door to use try this Simple Headboard idea I found at one of the blog parties a couple of years ago.
Thanks, Pam!

9 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous, I love it. You are so talented with curbside things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that looks TERRIFIC! Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so nice Tammy...you and your son did a great job! Whenever he goes in his room,he should be proud of his headboard and what he accomplished along with his mom. Great memory for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW ! great job. I'm sure it will look good in W's room

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea!!! Looks really neat!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this so much!!! I'm such a fan of old wood doors as headboards. Also love the added molding.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  7. You & Wil did a great job!!! Looks wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks fabulous. I wonder if cottage style is contagious. My mother and one of my friends are beginning to steal some of my ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.