"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Show & Share

I love this time of year here in PA.  Yard sales and garage sales are all around every weekend.  Most of the time you just get a lot of stuff that you really don't need.  I try and only have some change in my wallet so I don't make too many foolish purchases.  
This past weekend I only had some quarters in my wallet.
We stopped at this guy's yard sale.  Not much was there.  A lot of junk really.  I walked passed the table that had all the glassware and dishes, but on my way back to the car I spotted this little pitcher near the back of the same table with all the dishes.  I thought it would look cute with some greens in it.  I asked the guy how much and he said 50 cents. 
 SOLD!!!
After I paid for it, I was standing there telling my kiddos how at first I thought it looked white, but it had a kind of bluish gray tint to it.  I flipped it upside down while admiring the color, and a lady that was nearby said that the mark on the bottom looked old.
When I got home I Googled the marking.  What would our lives be without Google!?!
I found out that they stopped marking the dishes like this in 1880.  They had a code for the exact date on the site, and I was able to figure out that my little pitcher was made July 21, 1851.  How cool was that!  It doesn't even have one chip on it!
I think it is lovely and am just enjoying it the way I intended to enjoy it.....
with some greens!

10 comments:

  1. Well done! What a great treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Screaming very loud here. Don't you love it when a true treasure pops up right in your face! Even if it wasn't a treasure, it is still very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find -- good eye!!! I always get excited when I see that triangular mark on the bottom knowing that it is old, and that I'll be able to figure out the date exactly. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. better hide it away when I come !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very exciting when you are lucky enough to find a total bargain like that, especially an unexpected one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful pitcher! Don't you love a great find? Your new follower--- Cindy @ sunsetcoasting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pitcher and the story. I love Google, too!!!
    Good for you. :)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, don't you just love finding treasures!!! Great buy!!
    Loretta xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely and it's really cool that you were able to find the date when it was made! I google all my finds as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...