"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Building a Salt Box from Pallet Wood

Today I had a little
DIY Shop Class 101
with my youngest son.
There is no real measurements in my class.
We just line things up, draw lines, and cut.
Now I know I promised some of you that I wouldn't use an electric saw, but the temptation is too great for me to stay away. =)
No one was hurt in the making of this project.

Project:  A Salt Box made from pallet wood.
After cutting one side at the correct size, we use it as a template.
He practiced using the Skil saw by cutting a straight line on a scrap piece of wood.
We nailed all the pieces together.
I roughed up the edges a little bit with a file.
I added some lettering with the Charcoal Pencil Method and my Sharpie Paint marker.
I wanted the box to look old so I dry brushed some dark Walnut Minwax Stain.
I love using an old belt for leather straps.
Adds such character to the wood box.
I think I'll make a couple more for my Craft sale.

Linking Up With:

A Diamond in the Stuff

13 comments:

  1. So glad you didn't get hurt. Miles is a little Fran
    Good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Tammy! Nothing wrong with a little child labor, it looks like you both had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good pallet project and this one is great! Love the aged look you got with the minwax and the fact that you did it with your son...priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful piece Tammy!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks incredibly cool! I have picked up a few belts at garage sales just for the purpose of using as trap handles on boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it and it's so nice to hear you are still in one piece:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it and it is very inventive.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great project working with your son and a pallet! The salt box turned out beautifully. Did you have a picture if an old one in mind when you did this?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I can do this one! Thanks for the project idea and specific instructions. Also the charcoal lettering was very useful. I'm curious though, how'd you get the leather belt on the box? It looks like just a tack or a nail. Are they really strong enough to hold it or are they only decorative?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...