"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Monday, February 20, 2012

Recycling an Old Coat for a Penny Rug

I am finding out how much I enjoy doing Penny rugs.
I have been using felt from the craft store for my projects, but I had this wool coat that had seen better days, and I decided to recycle it.
One mistake I made was not washing the coat before cutting it up--although I know it had been washed before.  I read on a blog how if you wash the wool it will felt it and be less stringy when you cut out your designs.


I was so excited to be able to get a good pile of wool.
I really like this color too.


I wanted to make a smaller runner for my kitchen table.
The other one that I was going to use only stayed on the table for a couple of days.  It was too long for my table.  
We use the table for homeschooling--so it is constantly piled up with books and being used.

I used a cookie sheet for a template--gotta love making up patterns as you go:)


I made my little pennies and pinned them on the wool.
I then sewed them on with the blanket stitch.


For the ends, I measured and made a pattern on an index card.

Notice the school stuff in the background?
(Doing this while the kiddos take their tests makes me feel like I am not just wasting time.)



Using freezer paper I traced the pattern on the dull side of the freezer paper and ironed the shiny side to the brown felt.


Placing the end pieces with right sides together, I pinned them to the rug.
I then cut a piece of muslin the same size as the rug.


I sewed around the edge leaving a gap so that I could turn it out.
I clipped the corners before turning the rug out.



I then did a blanket stitch all around the rug and around each end piece.


Here is the final piece.
I don't think I like all the browns in my kitchen.
Looks like I need to make another one for my Kitchen table
BUT


not bad for an old coat :)




Linking Up with:


Tip Junkie handmade projects



8 comments:

  1. You must have read my mind! My hubby was going to throw away a beautiful coat and I just had to rescue it due to the sentiments attached to it.. I was wondering how to recycle it when I saw your tutorial on my dashboard... Thank You so much!

    Cheers
    Sonia
    cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have read my mind! My hubby was going to throw away a beautiful coat and I just had to rescue it due to the sentiments attached to it.. I was wondering how to recycle it when I saw your tutorial on my dashboard... Thank You so much!

    Cheers
    Sonia
    cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever way to recycle...Love how it turned out! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to recycle a coat. My newest fascination is penny rugs. I added it to my LONG to-do list, hoping to make one some day, Lol! Thanks for the tutorial. Your rug turned out beautiful!

    sandraallen260@centurytel.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea!
    I just started a brand new themed link party just for rustic, recycled and shabby chic projects. I would love to have you share this - http://rustic-crafts.com/?p=5388

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neato!!! I love your fun stitcheries!! Great idea to use an old coat, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love penny rugs too! Just a quick question about the end pieces (the tabs) on your rug, did you put 2 of them together or is that just one? I have made a rug mat, and a round one with pumpkins using my accugo quilt cutter, but would love to make one like yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...