"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Friday, November 4, 2011

Stepping Out of My Norm

All my projects have been basically wood furniture.
This one was a little different for me.
I re-purposed it for resale for my craft sale that I am having in 3 weeks.
It really isn't the style that I decorate my home, so I do hope someone loves it and wants to buy it :)

I bought this lamp at a yard sale for $1.
I thought about challenging Annie Sloan's paint on this since it was metal.
 It is a neat lamp.
Seeing everyone, in blogland, pick such ornate things to paint; I was excited to get this and try to make it lovely.

Even though I like it not painted.


I painted the whole thing in Paris Grey
Then I highlighted some areas with Old White.


It is kind of hard to see the difference between the two colors.



At the time, I didn't have clear wax, so I thought I would just apply the dark wax that I had.
It was ugly.
I didn't let it dry long enough so as I was buffing, I buffed all the paint off in certain areas.
Needless to say, it was NOT the look I was going for.  So I painted right over it the same way I did it the first time.


I bought the clear wax, and wow what a difference!
I applied the clear wax first.
I then took a smaller brush to apply the dark wax to the areas I wanted distressed.
After that I applied more clear wax to the dark and here is the end result:


Before:


After:


I bought a plain lampshade and decorated it up a bit with some rosettes made from Muslins.


I just wrapped and twisted the muslin into a rosette.
 I had torn the fabric instead of cutting it so that it would fray. 
I hot glued the end.
After they were formed, I glued them to felt.  I then cut around the felt and glued it onto the shade.




The rosettes look pink, but they aren't.
This pick is more true in color



We had 7 inches of snow in our yard last Saturday.



Today it is lovely outside.
The leaves are bright, coloring the landscape with orange, yellow, red, and a lovely green.
The ground is so saturated here that the grass looks so lush to me!

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty! You did a great job! Good luck on your sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lamp turned out great, I would purchase it. I do like the painted version better, so I think it was a great choice. Good luck with the craft show:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes wrong mid-project!! Love the final result & love the details on that lamp base. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty lamp re-do, I love the rosettes, they add a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing transformation! I love saving treasures! Thanks for stopping by for a visit and leaving a sweet comment. I am now following you and look forward to seeing more of your transformations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful job, I love the way it turned out. Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...